Wednesday, October 5, 2011

50 years ago today...

He's all right! Aren't you, cat? Poor cat! Poor slob! Poor slob without a name! The way I see it I haven't got the right to give him one. We don't belong to each other. We just took up one day by the river. I don't want to own anything until I find a place where me and things go together. I'm not sure where that is but I know what it is like. It's like Tiffany's. 

The little black dress became an icon. (Hepburn was Givenchy's muse.)


The lyrics to "Moon River" made its debut. (And later won an Oscar.)



A jewelry store became synonymous with Audrey Hepburn. (And entered all our homes.)



A kiss in the rain never felt so romantic. (Or a soaking trench coat so cozy.)






50 years ago today, my favorite movie was released.




I remember watching this as a young girl and thinking "wow". As I watched this movie with my grandmother, I was enamoured by Audrey. Her free-spirited character, the style, the lifestyle, everything. It kicked off what would become my obsession with Audrey Hepburn.

If you're interested in Breakfast at Tiffany's I'd certainly recommend Sam Wasson's 5th Avenue, 5am it covers all of Truman Capote (Tiffany's is based on a novella of his), making the movie, Audrey and how she became Holly Golightly (beating out Marilyn Monroe among others), and the set. It's a great, easy read. Although don't blame me when you get Moon River stuck in your head throughout the duration of reading the book. Also, there's also a 50th anniversary DVD release featuring improved video/audio quality and bonus features. (I happen to like my version, where there's a photo gallery of Audrey as a special feature.)


You know what's wrong with you, Miss Whoever-you-are? You're chicken, you've got no guts. You're afraid to stick out your chin and say, "Okay, life's a fact, people do fall in love, people do belong to each other, because that's the only chance anybody's got for real happiness." You call yourself a free spirit, a "wild thing," and you're terrified somebody's gonna stick you in a cage. Well baby, you're already in that cage. You built it yourself. And it's not bounded in the west by Tulip, Texas, or in the east by Somali-land. It's wherever you go. Because no matter where you run, you just end up running into yourself. 

1 comment:

Betsy said...

guess that means I should finally watch this movie, huh?